Girls Camp is a place bursting with exciting experiences like camp-wide games, action-packed program and theme events, swimming, kayaking, rowing, high ropes, sports, crafts, and the opportunity to build great friendships.
At the heart of Girls Camp is the opportunity to grow through learning new skills, experiencing creation, and enjoying laughter, friendship and the joys of living in a vibrant community. Pioneer offers a safe environment where girls can grow in confidence and independence and encouraged to challenge themselves through skill development. We also seek to create a fun place for every young woman to build authentic and lasting relationships with God, who loves them and wants them to discover the potential of who they were created to be.
We welcome girls with exceptionalities into the joy and fun of Girls Camp. Find out more here.
Click Below for Skill Development Options:
Do you love the outdoors and all the skills Girls Camp has to offer? Would you like to team up with others and be challenged? Campers will spend the first part of the week participating in a combination of archery, swimming, kayaking/canoeing, biking and running. At the end of the week, teams will complete the Adventure Race with the chance to see your name inscribed on the new Adventure Race board in the dining hall.
- Canoeing ORCKA Basic 1 (1 week option) – Tandem canoeing basics for beginners: parts of the paddle and canoe, launching and basic strokes.
- Canoeing ORCKA Basic 2 (1 week option) – Intermediate theory and tandem paddling skills, including turns, circles and landings. Prerequisite: Flatwater A or equivalent canoeing experience.
- Canoeing ORCKA Basic 3 (2 weeks) – Refine advanced tandem paddling skills. Introduction to solo canoeing. Prerequisite: Flatwater B or equivalent canoeing experience.
- Canoeing ORCKA Basic 4 (2 weeks) – Application of canoeing skills from previous levels to solo canoeing. Prerequisite: Flatwater C or equivalent canoeing experience.
- Dance 1 (Basic) – No previous dance experience is required. In this dance class you will have fun learning new dance styles and moves that you can show off in a performance at the end of the session!
- Dance 2 (Advanced) – This class is for campers that have had previous dance experience, and want to further their knowledge and skill in dance! You will get the chance to work on fun yet challenging combinations that will extend your abilities.
- Get Fit (1 week option) – Learn to set healthy personal goals for fitness and exercise incorporating running, stretching, muscle strengthening and other exercises. Set goals, watch your improvement and have fun! Activities will include: circuits, strengthening, stretching and many more ways to get active while enjoying the beautiful shores of Lake Clearwater.
- GC Track Team (1 week option) – For strong runners looking to improve or maintain fitness and endurance. No track team experience necessary – just a willingness to strive for your best! Train towards a possible ‘run around Pioneer Camp’ at the end of the session!
- GC Triathlon – For those who want to take their fitness to another level. You will gain greater experience in running, biking and swimming. The week will end with a GC Triathlon like no other! All participants will earn a spot on the GC Triathlon Board.
- Level 1 (1 week option) – Kayaking basics for beginners: entering and exiting the kayak and basic theory and strokes.
- Level 2 (1 week option) – Intermediate theory and paddling skills, including turns, pivots, draws, intro to hip flicks and bow rolls. Prerequisite: Kayaking Level 1 or equivalent kayaking experience.
- Level 3 (2 weeks) – More advanced theory and paddling skills. Bow rolls and advanced rescues. Prerequisite: Kayaking Level 2 or equivalent kayaking experience.
- Level 4 (2 weeks) – For very advanced kayakers. Eskimo rolls, hand rolls and more precise paddling. Prerequisite: Kayaking Level 3 or equivalent kayaking experience.
- Kayaking Day Trips (only in 2 week sessions) – Campers who enroll in Kayaking Level 3 or Kayaking Level 4 will have the option to go on a white-water kayaking day trip to The Gull or Palmer Rapids (depending on water levels). On opening day parents will have an opportunity at the activities desk to give permission for the trip. Interested campers will be assessed for appropriate skill level by the staff leading the trip. Those who choose not to participate or who do not have the necessary skill level will remain at camp and participate in a regular day of activities. Additional costs apply.
- Mountain Biking Level 1 (1 week option) – Explore the beauty of the forest on Pioneer’s 17 km of trails and learn basic bike maintenance and trail-riding techniques.
- Mountain Biking Level 2 (2 weeks) – Ride more challenging trails and improve your technique, safety skills, and bike maintenance. Prerequisite: Mountain Biking Level 1 or equivalent biking experience.
- Mountain Biking Level 3 (2 weeks) – An advanced course for experienced mountain bikers ready to tackle challenging trails. Learn more about bike maintenance and continue to strengthen your biking technique. Prerequisite: Mountain Biking Level 2 or equivalent biking experience.
- Mountain Biking Day Trip (only in 2 week sessions) – Campers who enrol in Mountain Biking Level 3 will have the option to go on a biking day trip. Interested campers will be assessed for appropriate skill level by the staff leading the trip. Those who choose not to participate or who do not have the necessary skill level will remain at camp and participate in a regular day of activities. Additional costs apply. Indicate interest to Activity Coordinators on opening day.
- Level 1 (1 week option) – Perfect for campers who’ve taken sailing lessons at Adventure Camp or beginners who have never sailed. Covers parts of the boat, turning, capsizing. Sail with other campers and an instructor in the boat.
- Level 2 (2 weeks) – Introduction to solo sailing and more advanced theory. Prerequisite: Sailing Level 1 or equivalent sailing experience.
- Level 3 (2 weeks) – Advanced solo sailing and theory, including sailing a pre-planned course. Achieving this level often requires practice outside of activity time. Great if you really love sailing! Prerequisite: Sailing Level 2 or equivalent sailing experience.
- Sailing Racing (1 week option) – Learn and apply advanced theory and skill to the adventure of sail racing! Harness the wind of Lake Clearwater outside Girls Camp Bay and leave the sailing dock in your wake! Prerequisite: Sailing Level 3 or equivalent experience.
- Field Sports (1 week option) – Amazing mix of soccer, ultimate Frisbee, flag football and other field sports – loads of fun and a chance to improve team and personal skills in this area. Will include a 5 minute warm-up/cool-down jog to and from the Girls’ Camp field.
- Basketball (1 week option) – Tie together team and personal skills to improve and have tons of fun! Whether you’re a pro or just beginning, there will be a place for you to improve in this activity.
- Volleyball Beginner (1 week option) – Tie together team and personal skills to improve and have tons of fun! Whether you’re a pro or just beginning, there will be a place for you to improve in this activity.
- Volleyball Advanced (1 week option) Keep your skills sharp and work to develop more advanced skills such as hitting, digs, blocks, overhand serves, etc. Recommended for players who have strong basic skills (bumping, setting and consistent serve) and who want to keep improving!
- Swimmer 1 – Designed for the beginner swimmer. (completed AQ 1 or continuing YMCA L’il Dippers: Floaters/Learn to Swim 1: Otter)
- Swimmer 2 – Camper can jump into water with and without PFD, open eyes and exhale underwater, get objects off bottom, float and move through the water on front and back. (completed AQ 2 or YMCA L’il Dippers: Divers/Learn to Swim 2: Seal)
- Swimmer 3 – Camper can jump into deeper water, fall sideways into water with PFD, support self at surface without an aid, do whip kick, swim 10-15m on front and back. (completed AQ 3/4 or YMCA Learn to Swim 4: Swimmer)
- Swimmer 4 (2 weeks) – Camper does cannonballs, dives and rolls into deep water, swims underwater, swims front and back crawl, and can do endurance swims of 25-30m. (completed AQ 5/6 or YMCA Star 1)
- Swimmer 5 (2 weeks) – Camper can do dives and stride entries, eggbeater kick 1 min, foot-first surface dives, front and back crawl, whip kick,breaststroke arms with breathing, endurance swims of 100-200m. (completed AQ 7 or YMCA Star 2)
- Swimmer 6 (2 weeks) – Camper can do shallow dives, eggbeater kick 2 min, foot-first sculling, surface dives with underwater swim 5m, front and back crawl and breaststroke over 100m, sprint 25m, head up front crawl or breaststroke 25m, endurance swims of 200-300m. (completed AQ 8 or YMCA Star 3)
- Swim Patrol Rookie (2 weeks) – Camper can do compact jumps, eggbeater kick for 1 min, somersault in water, head-up front crawl or breaststroke over 25m, 100m front crawl, back crawl and breaststroke, endurance swims of 200-350m, swim 100m in 3 min. (completed AQ 9 or YMCA Star 4)
- Swim Patrol Ranger (2 weeks) – Camper has completed Swim Patrol – Rookie. (completed AQ 10 or YMCA Star 5)
- Swim Patrol Star (2 weeks) – Camper has successfully completed Swim Patrol – Ranger (completed AQ 11 or YMCA Star 6)
- Bronze Star (2 weeks) – Camper has successfully completed Swim Patrol – Star. (completed AQ 12 or YMCA Master Swimmer)
- Bronze Medallion and Emergency First Aid/CPR B (double period, 2 weeks) – Swimming and basic rescue skills, spinal roll-overs, CPR, 500m timed swim. Exam at end of session requires a small additional fee. Prerequisite: Bronze Star OR 13 years old
- Bronze Cross (double period, 2 weeks) – Prerequisite for life-guarding certification. Includes swim/rescue skills, spinal roll-overs, rescue breathing, CPR, 600m timed swim. Exam at end of session requires a small additional fee. Prerequisite: Bronze Medallion & Emergency First Aid
- CPR WACKY WATER (1 week option) – If you love games, fitness and fun in the water, this class is for you! Activities include water polo, slide, Chapel Point swims, trampoline and more!
- GC Swim Team (1 week option) – Are you a strong swimmer looking for fitness and endurance swim training? If you love to swim and want to improve or maintain your fitness, this is a great challenge for you! No swim team experience necessary, just a willingness to strive for your best! Train towards a possible ‘lake swim’ at the end of the session!
- Beginner A (1 week option) – Windsurfing basics for beginners: parts of the sail and board, rigging and introductory windsurfing skills.
- Beginner B (1 week option) – Opportunity to spend more time on the water practicing basic windsurfing skills such as tacks and jibes. Prerequisite: Windsurfing Beginner A.
- Advanced (2 weeks) – Learn how to work the wind in your favour! Advanced jibes, power tacks, high wind rescue, and more detailed theory. Prerequisite: Windsurfing Beginner B.
Note: All those in windsurfing classes must be at least 12 years old and have a BLUE lanyard.